Saturday 3 September 2011

Rhubarb and Ginger Chutney

When we moved into this house, our good friend and neighbour Simon Webley (an elderly statesman of the village) gave us a Rhubarb plant that had been divided from one in his own magnificient kitchen garden.  The rhubarb has flourised in a reasonably sunny spot despite no attention whatsover (though I think the dog has fertilised it from time to time, it being placed relatively near the back door...)

I harvested some Rhubarb in the early summer and ate it lightly stewed with orange zest for breakfast with oats and yogurt.  Yum.  Today I had a pleasing second harvest of over 4lbs, so am cooking up a large batch of Rhubarb and Ginger chutney.

I share the recipe with you (I got it from an allottment website).

Rhubarb and Ginger Chutney

4 lb rhubarb, washed and cut into 1 inch pieces
6 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
6 large onions, peeled and chopped (I used the processor)
1 head of garlic peeled and chopped with 1 large piece of peeled fresh ginger root (I do these both in the food processor)
3 pints malt vinegar (I used Tesco value for 13p per bottle!)
2lb 4oz demerara sugar (though I didn't have any so I used a mix of half granulated and half dark-brown-soft)
1 tbsp salt
2 tsp curry powder (I used Madras)
2lb 4oz sultanas and/or currants

Mix all the ingredients together in a large preserving pan, bring slowly to the boil and simmer for about 2 hours or until thick. 

Pour into heated sterlised jars and seal.

Leave to mature for 3 months before eating (so make it now and it will be perfect at Christmas!)

It should keep for at least 1 year on the shelf.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The rule of thirds

I've been here for four months now and it's probably a sign of how much more at home I'm feeling that I haven't written a bl...